Are you someone who aspires to a career in cosmetology in North Carolina? Preparing for the NC State Board of Cosmetology exam?
This article is your perfect guide for all your exam related questions. It provides a step-by-step guide from registering to getting a license.
Straight to the practical test
- 1 Three steps: registration, testing and license
- 1.1 STEP 1: VERIFY YOUR ELIGIBILITY
- 1.2 STEP 2: REGISTER FOR THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMINATION
- 1.3 STEP 3: PAY YOUR EXAM FEES
- 1.4 STEP 4: SCHEDULE YOUR EXAM
- 1.5 STEP 5: THE DAY OF THE EXAMINATION
- 1.6 STEP 6: TAKE THE TEST
- 1.7 STEP 7: ANALYZE THE RESULTS
- 1.8 STEP 8: OBTAIN YOUR COSMETOLOGY LICENSE FROM THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BOARD
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions About North Carolina Cosmetology Exams
- 2.1 HOW DO I REGISTER FOR THE NORTH CAROLINA BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMS?
- 2.2 I CANNOT ATTEND THE DATE OR TIME OF MY EXAM. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- 2.3 WHAT IS THE EXAMINATION PROGRAM ON THE US NORTH CAROLINA BOARD OF BARBERING AND COSMETOLOGY?
- 2.4 HOW MUCH DO THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMS COST?
- 2.5 HOW MANY HOURS OF PRACTICAL WORK DO I NEED TO QUALIFY FOR THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BOARD EXAMS?
- 2.6 CAN I TAKE THE STATE BOARD EXAMS BEFORE I HAVE COMPLETED THE REQUIRED PRACTICE HOURS?
- 2.7 HOW LONG DOES THE WRITTEN COSMETOLOGY EXAM TAKE?
- 2.8 WHAT IS THE FORMAT OF THE WRITTEN TEST?
- 2.9 CAN I TAKE A PRACTICE EXAM?
- 2.10 HOW LONG DOES THE PRACTICAL EXAM IN COSMETOLOGY LAST?
- 2.11 WHAT IS THE FORMAT OF THE PRACTICAL TEST?
- 2.12 WHAT POINTS DO I NEED TO PASS BOTH PARTS OF THE COSMETOLOGY EXAM?
- 2.13 HOW DO I TRANSFER MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE TO NORTH CAROLINA?
- 2.14 HOW DO I RENEW MY LICENSE FOR NORTH CAROLINA COSMETOLOGY?
- 3 Prüfungspraxistest des North Carolina State Board of Cosmetology
- 3.1 Get your results!
Three steps: registration, testing and license
The first step for any exam is registration, and the North Carolina Cosmetology Exam is no exception. To start your exam journey, you need to register on the official website.
After successful registration you have to qualify for the written and practical examination in cosmetology. After successfully qualifying for both exams, you are eligible to receive your cosmetics license in North Carolina.
STEP 1: CHECK YOUR AUTHORIZATION
To register for the NC State Board of Cosmetology exam, you must complete the minimum number of practical hours. In addition to the minimum practice hours, you must achieve 75% or more to be eligible for the exam.
- Cosmetology: 1,200 hours completed at an accredited cosmetic arts school.
- Esthetician: 600 hours completed at an accredited cosmetic arts school.
- Manicure: 300 hours completed at an accredited cosmetic arts school.
- Natural Hair Care Stylist: 300 hours completed at an accredited cosmetic arts school.
- For Cosmetology Teaching: 1,200 hours completed at an accredited cosmetology arts school.
STEP 2: REGISTER FOR THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAM
After you have confirmed your eligibility for the exam, you can register for the cosmetics exam.
For North Carolina, DL Roope is the administrative authority for cosmetic testing. You need to register on the official websiteDL-String.
If you are a new user, you will need to register for a new account. With the following information:
- His school
- first name
For your information, please see the attached screenshot of the app page for new and old users.
STEP 3: PAY YOUR EXAM FEES
After completing the registration, the next step for you is to pay the exam fees. The North Carolina cosmetology exam fees are:
- Beautician:49 $
- Specialist in natural hair care:$20
If you overpay an amount during the application process, you will receive a refund.
STEP 4: SCHEDULE YOUR EXAM
Once you have successfully submitted your exam fees and your application has been approved, you can schedule your exam on the Iso Quality Testing (IQT) portal.
You can schedule your exam online as all the facilities are in the online portal. The online booking portal is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also call and schedule your exam. The online portal offers the option of selecting locations two to three weeks before each test date. If you want to schedule your exam at a later time, you must schedule it two to three weeks in advance.
IQT is responsible for sending notifications for programming. You will receive a practical exam schedule followed by a written exam schedule that you can schedule after the practical exam. You can schedule your written and practical exam on the same day.
You have six months from the date your exam fees are approved to schedule your exam, and you have the option to reschedule your exam. You can do this five days before the scheduled date. The rebooking fee is BRL 25.00. You can call IQT at 1-866-773-114 for help with reprogramming.
STEP 5: THE DAY OF THE EXAMINATION
For a smooth check-in on the test day, please be at the test center 30 minutes before the test. This ensures hassle-free registration and document verification.
You must bring a valid government-issued ID with you on the day of the test. The ID must contain a valid photograph and a signature. The name on the document and the application form must be the same.
You can take one of the documents from the list:
- State-issued identity card.
- US military ID
- State-issued driver's license.
- Alien registration card issued by the US government.
- voter card.
STEP 6: TAKE THE EXAM
The North Carolina cosmetology written exam is a 90-minute computer-based exam and the cosmetology practical exam takes four to five hours.
STEP 7: ANALYZE THE RESULTS
In order to pass both exams, you must achieve at least 75.00 points. You must earn a minimum of 70.00 points for the North Carolina apprenticeship program.
Once you qualify, your results will be published on the official website. You can check your results here.http://www.dlroope.com/.
STEP 8: OBTAIN YOUR COSMETOLOGY LICENSE FROM THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BOARD
After passing both exams, you can apply for the license. You can download or get your license from DL Roope official website and start your cosmetics career.
North Carolina Cosmetology Exam Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR THE NORTH CAROLINA BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMS?
You can apply online and offline for the North Carolina cosmetology exam. If you apply online, you must registerPage DL Loop.
If you graduated from a cosmetology school in North Carolina, you can apply offline. You can obtain this paper form from your school or you can also apply online. If you apply online, your school will be notified.
For more information you can contact:
Administrations by DL Loope
PO Box 631
Hampden, ME 04444-0631
Fax (207) 848-5511
I CANNOT SET THE DATE OR TIME OF MY EXAM. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
If you are unable to appear on the day of the exam, you can reschedule the appointment. If you want to rebook without losing your fees, you can do so five days before the exam.
You can reschedule your exam if you are in any of the following situations:
- You were in a car accident on your way to the exam.
- You are in an extreme medical emergency.
- Any death in your immediate family.
For each situation, you must submit the appropriate documentation to support your situation.
You can call the IQT at 1-866-772-1114 for more information.
WHAT EXAMINATION PROGRAM IS THE NORTH CAROLINA BOARD OF BARBERING AND COSMETOLOGY?
The State Board of Cosmetology of the National Interstate Council (NIC) administers exams in North Carolina.
HOW MUCH DO THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY EXAMS COST?
If you take the North Carolina Cosmetology exam, you must pay the following fees for each specialization:
- Beautician:49 $
- Specialist in natural hair care:$20
HOW MANY HOURS OF PRACTICAL WORK DO I NEED TO QUALIFY FOR THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BOARD EXAMS?
To qualify for the NC State Cosmetic Examination, you must have the following minimum practice hours:
- Cosmetic: 1200 hours
- Beautician: 600 hours
- Manicure: 300 hours
- Natural hair care stylist: 300 hours.
- Learn cosmetology: 1200 hours
CAN I TAKE THE STATE BOARD EXAMS BEFORE I COMPLETE THE REQUIRED PRACTICE HOURS?
No, to be eligible for the NC State Board of Cosmetology exam you must complete the required number of practical hours.
HOW LONG DOES THE WRITTEN COSMETOLOGY EXAM TAKE?
The NIC Apprentice and Cosmetology written exam lasts 90 minutes.
WHAT IS THE FORMAT OF THE WRITTEN EXAM?
The written test is a computer-based test administered by the IQT. The theory test consists of 110 questions, but only 100 are graded.
The cosmetology theory exam covers the following areas:
- Scientific Concepts (30%)
- Hair care and services (40%)
- Skin Care and Services (15%)
- Nail care and services (15%)
CAN I TAKE A PRACTICE EXAM?
Yes, if you want to familiarize yourself with real problems, you can try oursfree practical cosmetic exam🇧🇷 You have the final questions from the past few years cosmetology final questions. You can better understand the questions that appear on the North Carolina State Board exam.
You can try ourscomplete exam cheat sheetfor a detailed understanding of the cosmetic exam and a complete guide.
HOW LONG DOES THE PRACTICAL EXAM IN COSMETOLOGY LAST?
The North Carolina cosmetology practice exam takes three to four hours to complete.
WHAT IS THE FORMAT OF THE PRACTICAL EXAM?
The North Carolina practical exam covers the following areas:
- Client setup and desktop setup 15 minutes.
- Thermal Modeling - 10 minutes.
- Haircut - 30 minutes.
- Preparing the second client and configuring the desktop 15 minutes.
- Chemical Curling - 20 minutes.
- Predisposition test and strand test with simulated product - 10 minutes.
- Illumination foil virgin application with simulated colored product - 15 minutes.
- Retouch the hair color with a color product - 10 minutes.
- Application of virgin hair straightener with colored simulated product.
- Blood exposure process - 1 minute.
WHAT POINTS DO I NEED TO PASS BOTH PARTS OF THE COSMETOLOGY EXAM?
At least 75% must be achieved for the practical and theoretical examination. For a cosmetology internship, you must earn at least 70%.
HOW DO I TRANSFER MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE TO NORTH CAROLINA?
If you are licensed in another state, you must meet these requirements before applying to transfer your license:
- You must keep your cosmetics license up to date.
- Your license must be from a state that offers reciprocity for North Carolina.
More information on the various state regulations and procedures can be found herewebsite.
HOW DO I RENEW MY COSMETOLOGY LICENSE IN NORTH CAROLINA?
The North Carolina Board of Cosmetology has different rules and renewal requirements for a different license.
Beauticians must renew their license every three years. The license renewal deadline is October 1st. Manicurists, natural hair specialists and beauticians can renew their licenses annually.
North Carolina State Board of Cosmetology Prüfungspraxistest
"*" Indicates mandatory fields
How many questions are on the cosmetology state board exam NC? ›
Exam Outline Review
For the written portion, test takers will have 90 minutes to complete 110 multiple-choice questions. The Cosmetology state board practice test is broken down as follows: Scientific Concepts (35%) Hair Care and Services (45%)
- Schedule study time. Set aside the time in your schedule to prep for your tests. ...
- Take practice tests. ...
- Rest up. ...
- Double check your supplies. ...
- Choose your outfit. ...
- Be on time. ...
- Listen to all instructions. ...
- Read the test through first.
Services provided in licensed cosmetic art shops must be performed by licensed cosmetologists, manicurists, estheticians and natural hair care stylists. Practice without a license will result in civil penalty.How long does it take to get a cosmetology license in NC? ›
This can be done online or by mail. A cosmetology license costs $49 while other licenses such as nail technician and esthetician may cost less. Typically, it takes 5-10 business days to receive your license once your application is complete.How hard is the NC GC exam? ›
It is a common misconception that since the builder exam is open book, it is not difficult to pass. In actuality the North Carolina construction license exam is more difficult to pass than similar closed book exams due to the fact that you have books available as a resource during the contractor exam.How do I pass the NC bar exam? ›
In order to pass the North Carolina bar exam, you must score at least 270 out of 400. This equates to 135, based on the MBE's 200-point scale. The scores of the North Carolina UBE sections are weighted as follows: MEE 30%, MPT 20%, and MBE 50%.How can I pass my board exam? ›
The pass marks in each subject of external examination shall be 33%. In case of a subject involving practical work a candidate must obtain 33% marks in theory and 33% marks in practical separately in addition to 33% marks in aggregate in order to qualify in that subject.How can I study for board exam fast? ›
- Make a Time Table and Manage Your Time. ...
- Clear the Basics. ...
- Prepare Notes. ...
- Give Preference to Subjects. ...
- Solve Previous Year Papers. ...
- Studying Continuously for Long Hours. ...
- No Early Preparation. ...
- Last-Minute Study.
State License Requirements
There is not an official license for makeup artists; you will need to earn your esthetics license if you want to work as a professional in North Carolina. An esthetics program can teach you additional skills that you can offer to your makeup clients.
It's illegal in North Carolina for licensed cosmetologists to make home visits, with a few specific exceptions, said Jon Sanders, director of regulatory studies at the John Locke Foundation.
Do braiders need a license in NC? ›
To legally work as a hair braider in this state, you must earn your license from the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners. It's important to realize that hair braiding, despite being a tradition that's been around for hundreds of years, has only recently started to grow in popularity in the United States.Is cosmetology course hard? ›
Cosmetology School Is Not as Easy as You Think
A lot of people think beauty school is a walk in the park…it's not that simple. Beauty school is a lot of hard work. Students have to study their text books, they take quizzes and tests, and they practice hair styles over and over again.
The state board of cosmetology has a reciprocal agreement with every state except Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, New Jersey, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Utah. Rhode Island Must be licensed in a state that requires at least 300 hours of training.Can a felon get a cosmetology license in NC? ›
ANSWER: There are no convictions which would result in an automatic bar to obtaining a barber, cosmetologist, esthetician, hair braider, or nail technician license. 3.How do I pass the ICC test? ›
- Buy Code Books / References. If you know which references you need for your exam, you can purchase your reference books through the ICC Store. ...
- Review Your Exam's Content Outline. ...
- Take Courses with ICC Training.
Approved applicants must pass a qualifying examination for licensure with a minimum score of 70%. Approved candidates may take computer examinations administered at any PSI Examination Service Center. 90 questions, 3 hours and 20 minutes, partial open book, 63 correct (70%) to pass.How long should I study for Nascla? ›
It would take you a year to absorb the information found in the 21 reference manuals for the NASCLA exam. With our intensive exam prep courses, we can have you ready to take the exam in a week. We actually suggest taking the exam about 1 week after taking our NASCLA Exam Prep Course.What is the hardest bar test? ›
On average, the New York Bar exam comes in with a pass rate of 61%. That said, test takers generally agree that the bar exams of the states of California, New York, and Virginia are some of the hardest in the country.What is the easiest bar exam? ›
|Rank||State Bar Examination||Overall Passage Rate|
It is common to fail the bar exam and then pass on a later attempt. Thousands of repeat bar exam takers pass every single administration! The key is to figure out why you did not pass the bar exam so that you can change your approach and pass on your next try.
How do you get 90% on the board exam? ›
- Begin Preparing Right Away.
- Enhance your weak points.
- Practice Completing Sample Papers And Old Question Papers.
- Follow Your Course Outline.
- Create A Suitable Schedule.
- The Evening Before The Test.
- Use Social Media In No Way.
- During Exam Season.
- Give yourself enough time to study. via GIPHY. ...
- Organize your study space. via GIPHY. ...
- Use flow charts and diagrams. via GIPHY. ...
- Practice on old exams. via GIPHY. ...
- Explain your answers to others. via GIPHY. ...
- Organize study groups with friends. via GIPHY. ...
- Take regular breaks. via GIPHY. ...
- Snack on brain food.
- Know what your lecturers want. Before you start studying a topic, write down your lecturer's learning objectives for that topic. ...
- Make a study plan. Many people waste time when they study because they don't have a plan. ...
- Use effective study techniques.
- Complete the basics first.
- Revise concepts regularly.
- Practice previous year papers and sample questions.
- Identify and improve mistakes.
- Hone time-management skills.
- Relax and rejuvenate regularly.
- BE WELL-ACQUAINTED WITH THEORY: ...
- START WITH READING: ...
- PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO DATES: ...
- SPECIFY KEY TERMINOLOGIES: ...
- UNDERSTAND INSTEAD OF MUGGING UP: ...
- PRACTICE SAMPLE PAPERS: ...
- BRUSH UP YOUR WRITING SKILLS:
- PLAN BEFOREHAND: ...
- PAY MORE ATTENTION TO THE TOUGH ONCES: ...
- MAINTAIN A FORMULA NOTEBOOK:
- KEEP THE EXAM PAPER TIDY: ...
- IDENTIFY THE AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT: ...
- FOLLOW A STEP-BY-STEP APPROACH: ...
- PRACTICE MAKES MATHEMATICS PERFECT:
- Isolate yourself for 3 months.
- Fix a Timetable and Follow it Strictly.
- Fix Your Daily Target.
- Be Confident and Stay Positive.
- Make Short Notes and Concept Maps.
- Solve Previous Years Papers and CBSE Sample Papers.
Yes, upon successful course completion, the student must apply for temporary state license and also apply to sit for the state two-part examination. Your nail technician career is under the oversight of the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners. There is a $173 licensing fee when you submit your application.Who can do lashes in North Carolina? ›
Conversely, for a licensed barber to work in a cosmetology salon, the salon must also be licensed by the NC barber board, which has different rules than the Cosmetology Board, including rules about sinks and other equipment and supplies.
What beauty services make the most money? ›
- Semi-permanent brows. Offering semi-permanent brows would make you the most money on average. ...
- Semi-permanent lip liner. Adding semi-permanent lip liner to your treatment menu would bring in £3,600 per week. ...
- Semi-permanent eyeliner. ...
- Ombre Brows. ...
“The board of cosmetology does not allow mobile salon services and since they require a license for natural hair styling which we fall under, according to their rules, then we cannot provide any mobile services,” Bowman said.Can you have a mobile salon in North Carolina? ›
Background. The Governor signed nine new bills into law on Monday; among them, a measure which allows for the licensing of mobile salons. It means that licensed salons, stylists, and cosmetologists, could take their work on the road.How do I get a Microblading license in NC? ›
Microblading not regulated in NC
In NC, the only requirement to offer microblading is that you do need a tattoo permit, other than that there's no required training.
If you intend to open a spa and nail salon, you must have your North Carolina cosmetic arts licenses in place prior to taking steps to securing your salon's location.What can natural hair care specialist do in NC? ›
Natural hair care specialists can attach artificial hair by wrapping, braiding, weaving and sewing but not by chemical adhesive. Natural hair care specialists can also CUT extra artificial hair off but may not provide a haircut.How many questions are on the NC state insurance exam? ›
The life insurance exam and accident and health insurance exam are each 60 multiple-choice questions, five of which are pre-test questions. You have 75 minutes to complete each exam. You need to answer 70 percent or more questions correctly to pass.How many questions are on the NC Foundations of Reading test? ›
The Foundations of Reading exam contains 100 multiple-choice questions and 2 open-response (or essay) questions. You will have 4 hours of testing time and 15 minutes to complete a tutorial.How many questions are on the NC bar exam? ›
The MBE consists of 200 multiple-choice questions. Of the total, there are 175 scored questions that are used to determine your performance and 25 unscored questions that are being evaluated for use on future MBE examinations. Each scored MBE question you answer correctly receives one raw score point.How many parts of cosmetology can you study? ›
While pursuing a cosmetology degree, there are three major areas of the field to consider. Students may decide to learn about all three of these areas, or they may choose to specialize in just one or two: Hairstyling: Cutting, coloring and styling hair, as well as recommending hair products and styles.
How can I crack my insurance exam? ›
- Understand the syllabus and exam pattern well. ...
- Practice online mock tests: Most exams are conducted online these days. ...
- Prepare well for the GK & English sections: Most students tend to not focus too much on these two sections.
4.6 A grade of 70% shall be necessary to pass the examination.How long is the NC insurance exam? ›
The state examination for both the Life Insurance license and Accident and Health or Sickness Insurance license is 1 hour and 15 minutes long.How to pass the NC Foundations of Reading test? ›
- Register for the test. Registering is an important first step to passing the exam. ...
- Build a study plan. A study plan will help you stay on track for passing the Foundations of Reading. ...
- Follow the study plan. ...
- Make a test day plan. ...
- Pass the test.
Referring questions ask a student about information that is directly stated in the passage(s). Reasoning questions ask a student to draw conclusions from information that is implied in the passage(s). Below you can find more detailed information about each type of question, as well as sample ACT Reading questions.What is the hardest part of the bar exam? ›
The essay portion of the test is considered especially challenging, due to long model answers. Test takers are expected to identify and discuss many issues. Additionally, test takers must have a higher score in Nevada to pass the bar exam.What is the 80/20 rule in cosmetology? ›
Pareto's Principle has since been shown to carry over to countless other areas of life in which the most significant outcomes derive from the minority of proportional efforts. This means that you should observe that 80% of your actual results come from 20% of your efforts… even in the beauty department.What's the hardest part about cosmetology? ›
Makeup seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to do, but when asked most beauty professionals, instructors, and students agreed that makeup is one of the hardest units in school. It tests your patience and can be the source of some stress if hair color and style is more your forte.